Skip to main content

Caleb Graduates

Well it's been another week and we are winding down to the end of the Consolidation Phase of treatment in a few weeks. The past week Caleb had a break from the IV chemo since he can no longer get the LPEG due to the allergic reaction the first time. We still had to visit the clinic though for lab work and his chemo shot of ARAC. He did a great job that day accessing his port and even got a bead for teaching Nurse Jen how to access it! He really loves his beads of courage - that is such a great program.

Friday was such a crummy day as far as weather. Our plans of going to watch the sunset were ruined - always another day though! Saturday we were able to get out with Aunt Jac & Caity to Celebration for some relaxing time by the lake and some Kilwins Ice Cream. Caleb loves watching people fish there and just relaxing on the steps by the lake. 

Monday was a very special day for Caleb. He was able to go back to his school, see his friends & teachers and graduate with his class. We've been talking about it for the last week and he was so excited that the day was here! When we got there he ran right in and sat next to all his friends on the floor and was attentive to his teacher. I could just tell how happy he was to be back and how much he's missed it. Ms. Lisa even asked what they learned this year and the only hand up was Caleb's. He loves school! 

They showed their slideshow of pictures like they do every year.  I had to keep myself composed because at times through the slideshow I thought I was about to just cry. They all got their graduation caps and were given their diplomas and a bucket of goodies. Caleb was so happy to get his. Little moments like those - I wouldn't miss for the world. I am so proud of him. He's had a really rough year so far, but he has a sense of accomplishment with school. 

Today we are waiting to hear from clinic to see if he needs his blood transfusion. His hemo was low on Friday and they said I'd have to call by Tuesday  - so now we just wait and see. His lips are really pale so I'm sure he needs one. 



Caleb getting his diploma from Ms. Lisa


Proud Graduate
 Caleb & his Teacher, Ms. Lisa
Thank you for everything! :)
 Caleb asleep with his puppy protecting him!

 Caleb and his best bud, Jersey
Thank You everyone for your continued support, love and prayers!

Love,
"Caleb's Mama"


** More CURE CALEB bracelets have been ordered. I will be in touch soon about how you can get some!

"you got the music in you"

Comments

  1. Congrats on Caleb's graduation! I know you are one proud Mama :) I hope all is well and as always you both are in our prayers..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The day our lives changed....

It was my 33 birthday... My plan was to get Caleb's cast on his leg, get some R&R, play Wii & have birthday cake. That isn't exactly how it worked out. It all started days prior when Caleb began complaining of a pain in his right wrist. Since he is a very active boy at home, in school and on the soccer field I figured it was a sprain. Plus, the way he continued to be so active and the pain was sporatic, I would give him Tylenol and tell him to rest. Finally on Saturday before his soccer game I was dressing him and he yelled as I put his shirt on. He still insisted it was ok, but to ease my mind I said we'd go to an urgent care later. He played a great game. Running around like crazy and being my little soccer star that he is. We later went to urgent care to check out his arm. After XRays they said the bone was bent and put it in a sling and to follow up with an ortho at some point this week. That didn't sit well with me.. Next stop was the Arnold Palmer ER for h

Tough Guys Don't Do Hair

Another week of treatment behind us. This week has been a rough one mentally, emotionally and physically for Caleb and I. Clinic days drain us both. They completely drain me, Lord only knows what they do to him, really. Caleb and I went into clinic at 930 yesterday and he wasn't taken for his LP until 12:10 pm. By noon, he was cranky and starving. And I didn't blame him since  he hadn't eaten or drank since 7pm the night prior. That was the longest he had to go without eating for sedation. He's been having pains in his legs and the doctor feels again it's from one of the chemos that has that effect. So I'm just treating him as needed with pain medication or morphine at home. Hoping it doesn't get as bad as it was two weeks prior. He's getting as used to it as he can not having hair. At times I think he forgets. He still has strand on top of his head, but mostly gone. It's still falling out. I remind him everyday how handsome he is and how amazing h

One step closer...

Dear Donor, We have been told YOU have been found, YOU are the perfect match for my boy and YOU have agreed to give him bone marrow (no peripheral blood, actual bone marrow extracted from your hip where you will undergo a day stay surgery and have soreness for a few days after) . All we know about you is that you are 29 years old, a male and do not live in our country.  You will be taking time out of YOUR daily life to help save my boy. That is the most selfless act any person can do. We are grateful and can not wait for the day we can meet you. Thanking you will NEVER be enough. NEVER. We are one step closer now to having transplant. My boy worked and fought LONG and HARD these past few weeks. You see, the chemotherapy wasn't doing the job it was supposed to. The chemo was recognizing his cancer cells and saying "Screw you, we've seen this before!" So, my boy was lucky enough to be fit for a trial where they used a new immunotherapy drug called, blinatumomab. He