Skip to main content

Never Ever Give Up - Awesome Results

Caleb has started his Int Maintence phase of treatment. His counts were met and he had no chemo hold, which is great. His bone marrow is recovering and producing on its own.

Caleb had a pretty busy week. He had two golf lessons and is loving them. He's working on driving the ball and got a tour of the Metro golf course with Coach B. Caleb also got to play with two of his New Jersey friends that were in town, Valentino & Gianluca. Those three had a blast and were like the 3 Musketeers.

He had his labs drawn on Monday and we had to wait what felt like hours to get admitted. Caleb even went up and sat with his nurse, Rosie, checking the computer for his results. He even called down to lab with her and said, "Where's my labs?" He cracks me up. We were put in room 4011, which is practically not even in the wing near the nurses station. We situated our room and they started his fluids for the day before his high dose. 

Tuesday morning he woke up and had to have his procedures. He needed a lumbar puncture (spinal tap), bone marrow aspiration, chemo IT, and two IV infusion chemos.  He did amazing with everything. Caleb is such a strong, little boy. His doctor even remarked how fast his bone marrow flowed. I was relieved to hear that too. I knew that was a good sign as compared to his first bone marrow during diagnosis.

Even though we were in the hospital for 3 nights and 4 full days, Caleb had fun in the playroom and with his friend, Trevor, playing video games. He asked to go home often, but then would follow that by saying, I know only a few days, right. He did really well with the 24 hour dose too. He flushed it out of his system and met every count that he needed to during his stay - so we were released late on Thursday night after he took his special pill to prevent mouth sores. 

On Thursday, before we were released his doctor came in to tell me his MRD results came back and he's still in REMISSION! I was so happy to hear that. Caleb is doing so well with his treatment. He is so strong. 

Yesterday, Caleb was able to spend time with his cousins, Caity, Paige, Christian & Gary. Caleb had so much fun with them & you would've never known all the meds he had pumped into his body just two days prior. He is just so energetic and wants to go non stop.

There is so much my little boy has to endure. It literally breaks my heart. I try to be so strong. I am strong for him and keep us busy during the day  to keep my mind off of things. Honestly, at night, I lose it. I wake up every morning with swollen eyes from all my crying. I wish this was all a nightmare and we would just wake up soon. No child should have to go through this, they are supposed to be out playing, having fun, swimming, playing with friends, attending school, etc. Not worrying about if they are going to a clinic, overnight stay at the hospital, getting their port accessed or needing to do a mouth rinse to prevent their mouth from getting a sore. I know in my heart though that Caleb is so strong, he's proven so much to us and he continues to everyday. He's so upbeat and has lots of energy for what he's going through. It amazes me - and that's what keeps me going through my days. 

"You will never know true inspiration until you have spent time with a child and a family that is fighting childhood cancer; you appreciate every single breath, every single step, every single miracle, every single laugh and smile...you embrace and appreciate all things in life, big and small."

BIG Smiles When he saw how many fans he got overnight!
THANK YOU Jesse Rees Foundation for picking Caleb to be the 
NEGU Kid of the Week!
Never Ever Give Up
 Caleb with his NJ Friends - Valentino & Gianluca
 Caleb & Nurse Rosie checking on his labs
 Relaxing after his Bone Marrow & Spinal
 High Dose MTX  
Cancer, YOU SUCK!
 Caleb and his skylander buddy, Trevor
 A magician came by while Caleb's cousin, Avery was there for her visit.
He showed them Magic Tricks - They Loved it!
 Shamu & Caleb
First character he asked for a pic with!
 Caleb learned to IV Pole Surf
Thank for teaching him Trevor! HAHA!
 Caleb playing Mario Galaxy with his Uncle Frankie & Cousin, Avery

I can not thank you all enough for your continued support & prayers. 
Love, 
"Caleb's Mama"

CURE CALEB Bracelets are available on his fanpage, Kickin It with Caleb. There is a shop now tab - it can only be seen on the computer - not via mobile or iPad app for FACEBOOK. Please contact me with any questions. A portion of the money for each sale will go to CURESEARCH in Caleb's name.


Bruno Mars
Today My Life Begins



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The day our lives changed....

It was my 33 birthday... My plan was to get Caleb's cast on his leg, get some R&R, play Wii & have birthday cake. That isn't exactly how it worked out. It all started days prior when Caleb began complaining of a pain in his right wrist. Since he is a very active boy at home, in school and on the soccer field I figured it was a sprain. Plus, the way he continued to be so active and the pain was sporatic, I would give him Tylenol and tell him to rest. Finally on Saturday before his soccer game I was dressing him and he yelled as I put his shirt on. He still insisted it was ok, but to ease my mind I said we'd go to an urgent care later. He played a great game. Running around like crazy and being my little soccer star that he is. We later went to urgent care to check out his arm. After XRays they said the bone was bent and put it in a sling and to follow up with an ortho at some point this week. That didn't sit well with me.. Next stop was the Arnold Palmer ER for h

Tough Guys Don't Do Hair

Another week of treatment behind us. This week has been a rough one mentally, emotionally and physically for Caleb and I. Clinic days drain us both. They completely drain me, Lord only knows what they do to him, really. Caleb and I went into clinic at 930 yesterday and he wasn't taken for his LP until 12:10 pm. By noon, he was cranky and starving. And I didn't blame him since  he hadn't eaten or drank since 7pm the night prior. That was the longest he had to go without eating for sedation. He's been having pains in his legs and the doctor feels again it's from one of the chemos that has that effect. So I'm just treating him as needed with pain medication or morphine at home. Hoping it doesn't get as bad as it was two weeks prior. He's getting as used to it as he can not having hair. At times I think he forgets. He still has strand on top of his head, but mostly gone. It's still falling out. I remind him everyday how handsome he is and how amazing h

HAPPY 5th BIRTHDAY CALEB BLAISE!

I can specifically remember a conversation I had with my sister back in February. My sister and I have birthdays in March that fall in the same week. Each year we complain about being  another year older or closer to some milestone year. I always make fun of her because she is older and will hit those first. Anyways, I can remember a conversation this year we had about our birthdays and a comment a patient of hers said to her. My sister is an oncology nurse and works with adult cancer patients. They said that they don't dread their birthdays at all - that is yet another milestone, yet another year they are beating their disease. I agreed with her, but never did I think I'd be thinking about that in regards to my son. Caleb Blaise turns 5 years old today. My brave little boy has been through so much since his last birthday. I am thankful we found what we did, when we did. He is proving just how strong he is and how many more milestones he will accomplish. On that day he was gi