Skip to main content

Consolidation Complete.... BASE Camp FUN!

This week Caleb completed Consolidation Phase. That is his second phase of treatment. It was a pretty quiet week, no big, long trips to clinic. Whew! Only labwork on Friday & a 15 min IV infusion of his last chemo for this phase. I received his roadmap for his next phase. I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm nervous about it. ALL of this makes me nervous. I just get nervous hearing HIGH DOSE, INPATIENT, etc. That's what our next phase consists of. He's getting a chemo he has received before during his spinals, but now he is getting it through IV infusion over a 24 hour period. We will be spending every other week a  minimum of 3-4 days inpatient, which can go longer - depending on how long it takes to get out of his system. All of this is count dependent also, which means he need to make counts in order to get the chemo. If not, chemo hold for a week for him to recover. Each dose is count dependent. So really we can't plan much, just got to deal with everything day by day. He's also scheduled for another bone marrow on our first inpatient stay to do an MRD test. This is to be sure he is still in remission - because of his hypodiploidy and his risk level. I'm SURE he will be fine.

Caleb was asked to come to this months BASE Camp Overnight. It was so much fun for him! It's a local camp that has different activities for children that are fighting cancer. Caleb had a blast at the pool with his friend KK and new friend, Trevor. Seeing these kids SMILE is the best feeling. It was also nice for me to get to talk to other Mom's going through the same process or those that have finished. This morning my friend, Jenny and I met a mom whose daughter is an AML survivor. She is 6 years old now, with beautiful, long hair. Just talking to her, and hearing her story gives you so much hope. As soon as she said, she was diagnosed at 3 and here she is now - seeing her playing and jumping around - just made all of us cry. Those are the Mom's that help us get through this nightmare. They give us such hope and understand - they walked in our shoes.

As much as I prepare myself for Caleb losing his hair, I know I am going to be upset when it happens. To me, he doesn't look sick. I think because I see him everyday. But at BASE Camp I really noticed his hair thinning. And I know with the certain chemos coming up in treatment, he will lose it all. I try and prepare him - he just looks at me when we get to the part in his Charlie Brown book where Janice loses her hair and he touches his head and says, "I don't want to lose my hair." That breaks my heart. But I think he knows he is going to. Also his "doctor doll", Sam - his hair comes off with velcro. He didn't know that it did. About two weeks ago, I showed him. At first he was a little in shock, but then I explained how he was like Janice too. But then I stuck it back on and told him, "See, it grows back!" I then caught him playing alone and putting the hair on and off.

So, right now was just have planned labwork until his counts are good to go to move onto his next phase. Which may be in a week, may not. That's why we will now just take it day by day.

Thank You For your continued Support, Love & Prayers,
"Caleb's Mama"
Caleb at BASE Camp dancing to his FAV song!
As soon as they started playing this song he ran to me and gave me a BIG smile!
He said, "It's my song Mama"


 All Packed & Heading to BASE Camp
 Super Excited in the Hotel finding our room
 Picked out his bed
 Snacking with KK
 Hanging out Poolside
Caleb Blaise
June 12, 2012
Base Camp Hotel
Playing Twister with KK
Mama, Caleb, Jenny & KK
Caleb & Mama at BASE Camp
KK & Caleb after breakfast at Base Camp
BASE Camp VAN :)

This weeks song:
The Fighter - Gym Class Heroes
For ALL those BASE Camp Kids - They are all fighters!

"Give me scars, give me pain Then they'll say to me, say to me, say to me There goes a fighter, there goes a fighter Here comes a fighter That's what they'll say to me, say to me Say to me, this one's a fighter"



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The day our lives changed....

It was my 33 birthday... My plan was to get Caleb's cast on his leg, get some R&R, play Wii & have birthday cake. That isn't exactly how it worked out. It all started days prior when Caleb began complaining of a pain in his right wrist. Since he is a very active boy at home, in school and on the soccer field I figured it was a sprain. Plus, the way he continued to be so active and the pain was sporatic, I would give him Tylenol and tell him to rest. Finally on Saturday before his soccer game I was dressing him and he yelled as I put his shirt on. He still insisted it was ok, but to ease my mind I said we'd go to an urgent care later. He played a great game. Running around like crazy and being my little soccer star that he is. We later went to urgent care to check out his arm. After XRays they said the bone was bent and put it in a sling and to follow up with an ortho at some point this week. That didn't sit well with me.. Next stop was the Arnold Palmer ER for h

Tough Guys Don't Do Hair

Another week of treatment behind us. This week has been a rough one mentally, emotionally and physically for Caleb and I. Clinic days drain us both. They completely drain me, Lord only knows what they do to him, really. Caleb and I went into clinic at 930 yesterday and he wasn't taken for his LP until 12:10 pm. By noon, he was cranky and starving. And I didn't blame him since  he hadn't eaten or drank since 7pm the night prior. That was the longest he had to go without eating for sedation. He's been having pains in his legs and the doctor feels again it's from one of the chemos that has that effect. So I'm just treating him as needed with pain medication or morphine at home. Hoping it doesn't get as bad as it was two weeks prior. He's getting as used to it as he can not having hair. At times I think he forgets. He still has strand on top of his head, but mostly gone. It's still falling out. I remind him everyday how handsome he is and how amazing h

HAPPY 5th BIRTHDAY CALEB BLAISE!

I can specifically remember a conversation I had with my sister back in February. My sister and I have birthdays in March that fall in the same week. Each year we complain about being  another year older or closer to some milestone year. I always make fun of her because she is older and will hit those first. Anyways, I can remember a conversation this year we had about our birthdays and a comment a patient of hers said to her. My sister is an oncology nurse and works with adult cancer patients. They said that they don't dread their birthdays at all - that is yet another milestone, yet another year they are beating their disease. I agreed with her, but never did I think I'd be thinking about that in regards to my son. Caleb Blaise turns 5 years old today. My brave little boy has been through so much since his last birthday. I am thankful we found what we did, when we did. He is proving just how strong he is and how many more milestones he will accomplish. On that day he was gi