Skip to main content

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

This week I had a big wake up call in this journey. I was reminded how quickly things can once again change. Caleb had labs on Monday and a scheduled lumbar puncture. He didn't meet counts. This is the first time in his treatment he has had a hold due to counts. BUT it is ok for the kids to have holds as their bone marrows are recovering from the intense chemo that is knocking them down every week. The only difference was Caleb's doctor said he wanted to recheck again on Thursday since his ANC hasn't gone up as quick as he expected and if there is no movement he would want to do a bone marrow aspiration to check for any leukemia cells. As soon as he said that, I felt numb. He said a while ago that only reason to check would be if they suspected something, and most of the time everything is fine - but I just felt sick. Also before he left for the day he wanted to run a flow test - that determines all the cells and a machine figures out what phase the cells are in and if they are malignant or not.

When they drew that lab the nurse said they found two blasts in his blood work. Yet again, I felt weak. Caleb hadn't had blasts since diagnosis in March. I felt sick and my heart sank. I don't want to fathom the 'R' word. No cancer mom does. I tried to reassure myself all day with positive vibes from friends and family. I even went to church and fell to my knees.... crying and praying that all would be okay with my little boy. I don't want him to have to endure more than he needs to. He is entering the phase before long term maintenance. He is so strong and can do this, I just know it.

I didn't hear results until this morning on his flow test. Everything is fine. It's just that his bone marrow is producing at a rapid rate and it set red flags - they wanted to ensure it wasn't anything else.... the cells they saw were all non malignant. PRAISE GOD! I couldn't stop crying and hugging him once I heard that. All he kept saying is, "You are happy Mama! You are happy!" - and that I was. 

I just wanted to explain to everyone what my posts on facebook were about. I can't thank you all enough for all your prayers for my little boy. It means so much to us!! We wouldn't be able to do this without all of you on our side - and going through this journey with us! So THANK YOU!

More labs on Thursday and continuing with treatment of next phase as long as counts are met. Caleb turns 5 on FRIDAY and we have a fun weekend planned for him! So excited!

Thank you so much for all your support, love and prayers!
Love,
Caleb's Mama

Comments

  1. It breaks my heart that you, as a mother, have to worry about these things. It breaks my heart that sweet Caleb is going through so much at such a young age. You are both so brave. Im praying for you both. God answered your prayers this time, and I'm sure he will continue too. <3
    x.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The day our lives changed....

It was my 33 birthday... My plan was to get Caleb's cast on his leg, get some R&R, play Wii & have birthday cake. That isn't exactly how it worked out. It all started days prior when Caleb began complaining of a pain in his right wrist. Since he is a very active boy at home, in school and on the soccer field I figured it was a sprain. Plus, the way he continued to be so active and the pain was sporatic, I would give him Tylenol and tell him to rest. Finally on Saturday before his soccer game I was dressing him and he yelled as I put his shirt on. He still insisted it was ok, but to ease my mind I said we'd go to an urgent care later. He played a great game. Running around like crazy and being my little soccer star that he is. We later went to urgent care to check out his arm. After XRays they said the bone was bent and put it in a sling and to follow up with an ortho at some point this week. That didn't sit well with me.. Next stop was the Arnold Palmer ER for h

Tough Guys Don't Do Hair

Another week of treatment behind us. This week has been a rough one mentally, emotionally and physically for Caleb and I. Clinic days drain us both. They completely drain me, Lord only knows what they do to him, really. Caleb and I went into clinic at 930 yesterday and he wasn't taken for his LP until 12:10 pm. By noon, he was cranky and starving. And I didn't blame him since  he hadn't eaten or drank since 7pm the night prior. That was the longest he had to go without eating for sedation. He's been having pains in his legs and the doctor feels again it's from one of the chemos that has that effect. So I'm just treating him as needed with pain medication or morphine at home. Hoping it doesn't get as bad as it was two weeks prior. He's getting as used to it as he can not having hair. At times I think he forgets. He still has strand on top of his head, but mostly gone. It's still falling out. I remind him everyday how handsome he is and how amazing h

One step closer...

Dear Donor, We have been told YOU have been found, YOU are the perfect match for my boy and YOU have agreed to give him bone marrow (no peripheral blood, actual bone marrow extracted from your hip where you will undergo a day stay surgery and have soreness for a few days after) . All we know about you is that you are 29 years old, a male and do not live in our country.  You will be taking time out of YOUR daily life to help save my boy. That is the most selfless act any person can do. We are grateful and can not wait for the day we can meet you. Thanking you will NEVER be enough. NEVER. We are one step closer now to having transplant. My boy worked and fought LONG and HARD these past few weeks. You see, the chemotherapy wasn't doing the job it was supposed to. The chemo was recognizing his cancer cells and saying "Screw you, we've seen this before!" So, my boy was lucky enough to be fit for a trial where they used a new immunotherapy drug called, blinatumomab. He