Skip to main content

An Open Letter to the Possible Match for my son....

Dear Possible Donor,

You probably haven’t even heard of him , but I am reaching out to you. My little boy needs your help.  You may be going to an event this weekend and walk by a table labeled Be The Match and decide to get swabbed OR you maybe already did that years ago and totally forgot  you even did it.  

You will be getting a call in a few days or weeks where they tell you that you are the possible match for someone. I know your life is busy and you are wondering what this may entail.  You will have to fit in doctors appointments for blood work, probably multiple times. You will be asked many medical questions and I’m sure you will be asking the same to the doctor.  I ask that you really consider doing this for my little boy. They probably won’t tell you much about him - just that he is 9 years old and is your match. Let me tell you more about him.

Caleb Blaise is a strong, courageous little boy that has been through more than most at his age. He endured three and a half years of intense chemotheraphy, had complications, but in the end was in remission and off treatment for one and a half years.  A month ago we found out his cancer had returned and he didn’t understand why.  He completed his induction therapy and still has 10% disease in his bone marrow, this is why he needs your help.  

Caleb is a third grader and loves school and his friends. He loves playing baseball and is a pretty damn good first baseman.  He loves watching WWE and John Cena is his favorite. He can light up a room and make anyone smile with his witty sense of humor.  He is an innocent child and doesn’t understand why he has to do all these medicines again.  He has a Mom and Dad that love him dearly.  His mom loves watching him play ball and exceed in school. Math is his favorite subject. His dad loves taking him fishing, watching him ride his dirtbike and watching Motocross racing and WWE on TV with him. Caleb has two sisters, too. Hayden adores her big brother. He is her best friend. She looks for him as soon as she wakes up each day. She gives him the biggest hugs.  Caleb’s going to meet his new sister, P, in a few short weeks.  He is anxiously awaiting her arrival. He loves to feel her kick and see Mom’s belly move with her inside. He thinks that is crazy.

Caleb has grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins that adore him. He loves spending time with his family, going on family vacations, family birthday parties and family holidays. He has friends near and far that adore him.  His smile is contagious so when he gets together with friends all they do is laugh and smile.  

I could never repay you for what you give my son and our family. I know this will be something you need to fit into your busy schedule and we forever will be grateful.  You will afford us things we can’t replace. You will give us the opportunity for many more laughs, smiles and years of memories.  You will allow my son to flourish and become the man he is supposed to become and leave the mark on the world he is destined to do.  You will allow us to see many more baseball games, birthdays and family vacations.  You will give his sisters a big brother to protect them all their life.  
So when your phone rings and you are told you are a possible match for a little boy that needs your help I hope without hesitation you say you are willing to help in anyway possible. Your gift that you would give my son and our family is priceless and would never be forgotten.

Sincerely,
Candice
“Caleb’s Mama”










To register to be a match for someone like Caleb and save a LIFE


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The day our lives changed....

It was my 33 birthday... My plan was to get Caleb's cast on his leg, get some R&R, play Wii & have birthday cake. That isn't exactly how it worked out. It all started days prior when Caleb began complaining of a pain in his right wrist. Since he is a very active boy at home, in school and on the soccer field I figured it was a sprain. Plus, the way he continued to be so active and the pain was sporatic, I would give him Tylenol and tell him to rest. Finally on Saturday before his soccer game I was dressing him and he yelled as I put his shirt on. He still insisted it was ok, but to ease my mind I said we'd go to an urgent care later. He played a great game. Running around like crazy and being my little soccer star that he is. We later went to urgent care to check out his arm. After XRays they said the bone was bent and put it in a sling and to follow up with an ortho at some point this week. That didn't sit well with me.. Next stop was the Arnold Palmer ER for h

Tough Guys Don't Do Hair

Another week of treatment behind us. This week has been a rough one mentally, emotionally and physically for Caleb and I. Clinic days drain us both. They completely drain me, Lord only knows what they do to him, really. Caleb and I went into clinic at 930 yesterday and he wasn't taken for his LP until 12:10 pm. By noon, he was cranky and starving. And I didn't blame him since  he hadn't eaten or drank since 7pm the night prior. That was the longest he had to go without eating for sedation. He's been having pains in his legs and the doctor feels again it's from one of the chemos that has that effect. So I'm just treating him as needed with pain medication or morphine at home. Hoping it doesn't get as bad as it was two weeks prior. He's getting as used to it as he can not having hair. At times I think he forgets. He still has strand on top of his head, but mostly gone. It's still falling out. I remind him everyday how handsome he is and how amazing h

One step closer...

Dear Donor, We have been told YOU have been found, YOU are the perfect match for my boy and YOU have agreed to give him bone marrow (no peripheral blood, actual bone marrow extracted from your hip where you will undergo a day stay surgery and have soreness for a few days after) . All we know about you is that you are 29 years old, a male and do not live in our country.  You will be taking time out of YOUR daily life to help save my boy. That is the most selfless act any person can do. We are grateful and can not wait for the day we can meet you. Thanking you will NEVER be enough. NEVER. We are one step closer now to having transplant. My boy worked and fought LONG and HARD these past few weeks. You see, the chemotherapy wasn't doing the job it was supposed to. The chemo was recognizing his cancer cells and saying "Screw you, we've seen this before!" So, my boy was lucky enough to be fit for a trial where they used a new immunotherapy drug called, blinatumomab. He