Skip to main content

The ups and downs of being a cancer mom. The fighting never stops.

It's been a while, yet again, since I've blogged for everyone. I'm sorry - and I hope you all have been keeping up with Caleb on his facebook page. He's been doing well. He had his monthly treatment in Sept and October already. In September, he landed inpatient with his highest fever yet, 103. It was under control with IV antibiotics quickly and his counts recovered very quickly too so it was a short inpatient stay. Thank Goodness!

He's been keeping busy with school, church and baseball. He is loving all three. He has a best bud in school that he loves to go see everyday :) He's doing really well with all his school work that I see come home and he already knows his first nine week site words! He's so ambitious to learn to read and I love that! He's really enjoying church too. He is a great teacher & he is anxious to get his turn to take the statue home to pray. With baseball he's doing well. He hit a home run last game!

In a few short weeks - Caleb will be turning 6!?! Seriously, where does the time go? Since he's started Kindergarten he's really grown up to me over the last 2 and a half months. He is such a little boy now :) I'm planning his BIG 6th Birthday bash and he is SUPER excited! We can't wait to celebrate with everyone & his friends! A foundation is supplying a cake for him, which he picked out, and it's going to be AWESOME! Can't wait to show everyone!

As for me...
The past 48 hours have been rough on me though. I have been dealing with a lot of stress myself. I belong to a tight knit group of women whose children are all battling cancer. They are my lifeline when others don't get what I'm feeling or what I'm actually going through. They get it - they wear the same 'ugly shoes' I wear everyday & they are the friends I wish I never had to meet or the facebook group I wish I was never a part of. Well over the last 48 hours, 8 kids are fighting, 8 mothers are worrying more than we do on an ordinary day. And as being part of this group, their kids are our kids and being such a close friend, I feel for them. Their kids are sick and fighting and for 4 of them they are getting tests done to see if they are "R". I can't even type the word. I hate that word. It's almost as bad as death for a cancer family to hear that their child has "R".  You don't want to start over or find a new game plan. You count down how many of this procedure or meds or IV chemos left and the thought of starting over, more intense is a horrible thought. Tonight I worry not only about my own child, as I do everyday, but for each of these kids and each of those mothers. My heart aches for them and I HOPE they hear it's just a fluke thing and everything is OK.

I really HATE CANCER.

Wake me UP - Avicii
This song explains how I feel right now. Couldn't be more fitting.



So wake me up when it's all over
When I'm wiser and I'm older
All this time I was finding myself
And I didn't know I was lost


Caleb is "Giving Back" for his birthday to BASE CAMP ! 
They have been there since dx for him and I and continue to be there.. Providing warm meals while inpatient and clinic, Movie Nights on Fridays, Winter Formal and Holiday Parties.
I am hosting a Perfectly Posh Party where 100% commission is going to BASE CAMP for his birthday "giving back".
Please consider making a purchase and giving back!
Once on site go to SHOP and click on Caleb's GIVING BACK Party! 

What is Posh? It's an all natural pampering company...All the products are made in the US!
No SOYS, NO PARAFFANS, NO GLUTEN.
Any questions or ingredient lists of any products - just ask!
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT & A CAUSE THAT CALEB HOLDS CLOSE TO HIS HEART!
Caleb at Clearwater Aquarium
 Caleb playing at clinic with Child Life, Billy on his last day :(
We will miss you Billy!
 Waking up from sedation after his spinal in September.
7 more go to Caleb!
 Before his first T Ball Game
Go Banana Jacks!
 Caleb and Mama lounging! 
 Eating dirt while inpatient!
 Waiting for his room in ER last month.
 Pluto came to visit at APH!
 Inpatient photo fun with Mama :)
I think we were both working off like NO sleep from the night before!
 Discharged! Thanks for the balloon Tahj! His fellow tball mate and clinic friend 
brought it to him! :)
 At his grandparents 50th Wedding anniversary vow renewal with 
his cousin!
 Out at the track, cheering on his favorite moto rider :)
 Posing with his Halloween Scene at home.
 Loving doing homework! Hope this lasts!
 Coming this halloween.. Tree Rex (from Skylanders)
 Hitting a home run! Go CALEB!



Comments

  1. I been following on facebook, my thoughts and prayers are with you daily..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I been following on facebook, my thoughts and prayers are with you daily..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The day our lives changed....

It was my 33 birthday... My plan was to get Caleb's cast on his leg, get some R&R, play Wii & have birthday cake. That isn't exactly how it worked out. It all started days prior when Caleb began complaining of a pain in his right wrist. Since he is a very active boy at home, in school and on the soccer field I figured it was a sprain. Plus, the way he continued to be so active and the pain was sporatic, I would give him Tylenol and tell him to rest. Finally on Saturday before his soccer game I was dressing him and he yelled as I put his shirt on. He still insisted it was ok, but to ease my mind I said we'd go to an urgent care later. He played a great game. Running around like crazy and being my little soccer star that he is. We later went to urgent care to check out his arm. After XRays they said the bone was bent and put it in a sling and to follow up with an ortho at some point this week. That didn't sit well with me.. Next stop was the Arnold Palmer ER for h

Tough Guys Don't Do Hair

Another week of treatment behind us. This week has been a rough one mentally, emotionally and physically for Caleb and I. Clinic days drain us both. They completely drain me, Lord only knows what they do to him, really. Caleb and I went into clinic at 930 yesterday and he wasn't taken for his LP until 12:10 pm. By noon, he was cranky and starving. And I didn't blame him since  he hadn't eaten or drank since 7pm the night prior. That was the longest he had to go without eating for sedation. He's been having pains in his legs and the doctor feels again it's from one of the chemos that has that effect. So I'm just treating him as needed with pain medication or morphine at home. Hoping it doesn't get as bad as it was two weeks prior. He's getting as used to it as he can not having hair. At times I think he forgets. He still has strand on top of his head, but mostly gone. It's still falling out. I remind him everyday how handsome he is and how amazing h

One step closer...

Dear Donor, We have been told YOU have been found, YOU are the perfect match for my boy and YOU have agreed to give him bone marrow (no peripheral blood, actual bone marrow extracted from your hip where you will undergo a day stay surgery and have soreness for a few days after) . All we know about you is that you are 29 years old, a male and do not live in our country.  You will be taking time out of YOUR daily life to help save my boy. That is the most selfless act any person can do. We are grateful and can not wait for the day we can meet you. Thanking you will NEVER be enough. NEVER. We are one step closer now to having transplant. My boy worked and fought LONG and HARD these past few weeks. You see, the chemotherapy wasn't doing the job it was supposed to. The chemo was recognizing his cancer cells and saying "Screw you, we've seen this before!" So, my boy was lucky enough to be fit for a trial where they used a new immunotherapy drug called, blinatumomab. He