Skip to main content

"And will you succeed? Yes! You will, indeed!"


“And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)

  Reflecting back to my status from a year ago. I had this on my personal facebook status before Caleb was diagnosed. 11 days before to be exact. And a friend reminded me of that status when Caleb was dx. A year later, it still is one of my favorite Dr. Seuss quotes.
 
So after having an entire week indoors & on social isolation, Caleb was anxious to get to clinic to find out if he'd be allowed out again. Well, his counts didn't recover as fast as we had hoped, but they are on the rise. Everything went up, except his hemoglobin level remained low. He is still close to transfusion level, but hoping that another week off oral chemo he will recover. Beside having shortness of breath when running around and low energy, he isn't getting headaches or anything else from it being low... so another week of sitting and waiting to see if they recover.

He did get the OK to go back to baseball as long as he was up for it. And since it's outdoors and not really sharing or touching the same equipment.... I was ok with that too. So on Friday he was excited to be attending his first "real" baseball game ( as he puts it ). When he showed up his coach and teammates were all happy to see him and he had a huge smile on his face ready to play.  I was so nervous hoping he knew what to do when playing..... I took him outside earlier in the day to let him practice hitting and we talked about hitting the ball, dropping the bat and running for first base. So my lefty went up to bat and did awesome during the first inning. He made it to second base & ended up getting out. (Who knew these kids were so competitive during T Ball?!?) He plays short stop, so while out on the field he gets a lot of action. He got the ball a few times and threw it back to the "pitcher mound". He did great. Then during the next inning I was expecting him to be up to hit again.... but was asked by the parent in charge to come to the dugout. Caleb said he was too exhausted to keep playing.

Earlier in the day he laid down and I knew it was the steroid pulse kicking in.I even suggested we maybe wait till next week for ball and he told me "NO! The Dr said it's OK!"  He never wants to "nap" - actually to get him to rest is hard at times. He is always full of energy, but when he's on steroids he's easily worn out. So we left his game early last night. It's like you finally feel some sort of "normal" and bam it's a slap in the face of your reality. I hate that my child doesn't have energy to finish a baseball game or play like normal kids do. It breaks my heart to see him so tired and worn out, yet he wants to push himself and do what the other kids are doing.

So we wait another week for counts. He just has to go in to clinic and get labs to check. Last week he had IV Chemo (that wasn't count dependent). Dr Levy said his monocytes are high so those should be turning into neutrophils and in turn increasing his ANC. His ANC has to be 750 and his Platelets need to be 75K before resuming oral chemo. His platelets jumped to 60K, in the 6 days so that is a good sign too. We will know more on Thursday.

This week he will still be resting. He has another game on Tuesday, so we will see how he is doing that day and if he will make it. Hoping that since it's towards the end of his steroid pulse he will be less tired.

Shirts will be available in the next few weeks supporting "Kickin it with Caleb" if anyone is interested. From Kids to 2XL. There will also be a fundraiser in South Amboy NJ at Costa Verde . That will be on March 19th! If you mention the flyer 15% of your bill will be donated! Thank you so much to all who set this up and who are planning to attend! It means so much to us!

Also there is Pampered Chef party online till March 10th on FACEBOOK. Please find the link off of Caleb's FB Page. Bella's Mom is holding it for Caleb! THANK YOU Cori! :)

Thank You for your continued love, support and prayers!
Love,
Caleb's Mama
 Thank You Give Hope Foundation for the gift basket!
 My silly boy at APH
Trying to steal Pluto's bone!
 Waiting for his labs to come back
 Playing Mario Party at home with Mama
 Practicing his batting
Walk On
U2


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The day our lives changed....

It was my 33 birthday... My plan was to get Caleb's cast on his leg, get some R&R, play Wii & have birthday cake. That isn't exactly how it worked out. It all started days prior when Caleb began complaining of a pain in his right wrist. Since he is a very active boy at home, in school and on the soccer field I figured it was a sprain. Plus, the way he continued to be so active and the pain was sporatic, I would give him Tylenol and tell him to rest. Finally on Saturday before his soccer game I was dressing him and he yelled as I put his shirt on. He still insisted it was ok, but to ease my mind I said we'd go to an urgent care later. He played a great game. Running around like crazy and being my little soccer star that he is. We later went to urgent care to check out his arm. After XRays they said the bone was bent and put it in a sling and to follow up with an ortho at some point this week. That didn't sit well with me.. Next stop was the Arnold Palmer ER for h

Tough Guys Don't Do Hair

Another week of treatment behind us. This week has been a rough one mentally, emotionally and physically for Caleb and I. Clinic days drain us both. They completely drain me, Lord only knows what they do to him, really. Caleb and I went into clinic at 930 yesterday and he wasn't taken for his LP until 12:10 pm. By noon, he was cranky and starving. And I didn't blame him since  he hadn't eaten or drank since 7pm the night prior. That was the longest he had to go without eating for sedation. He's been having pains in his legs and the doctor feels again it's from one of the chemos that has that effect. So I'm just treating him as needed with pain medication or morphine at home. Hoping it doesn't get as bad as it was two weeks prior. He's getting as used to it as he can not having hair. At times I think he forgets. He still has strand on top of his head, but mostly gone. It's still falling out. I remind him everyday how handsome he is and how amazing h

HAPPY 5th BIRTHDAY CALEB BLAISE!

I can specifically remember a conversation I had with my sister back in February. My sister and I have birthdays in March that fall in the same week. Each year we complain about being  another year older or closer to some milestone year. I always make fun of her because she is older and will hit those first. Anyways, I can remember a conversation this year we had about our birthdays and a comment a patient of hers said to her. My sister is an oncology nurse and works with adult cancer patients. They said that they don't dread their birthdays at all - that is yet another milestone, yet another year they are beating their disease. I agreed with her, but never did I think I'd be thinking about that in regards to my son. Caleb Blaise turns 5 years old today. My brave little boy has been through so much since his last birthday. I am thankful we found what we did, when we did. He is proving just how strong he is and how many more milestones he will accomplish. On that day he was gi