Skip to main content

No matter where you are on your journey, that's exactly where you need to be. The next road is always ahead.

 I don't know about you, but I just get a HUGE smile when I see this picture
of Caleb! He cracks me up! I LOVE MY FIGHTER!



The past few days we have been trying to take in and enjoy the holiday season, which is upon us now. It is much harder for me this year to even get into the 'spirit', but I am trying. I think it's just that I have SO much on my mind and so much worry, I just don't have time for the hustle and bustle of the holiday season. Nor do I have patience for dealing with long lines and crazy drivers! BUT I'm slowly getting into it.

This week we went and got our Christmas tree. Today Caleb decorated it and we set up his monorail (yes, big Disney fans here) around his tree. Usually, I would be so particular about where the ornaments were placed, spacing and everything being perfect. Today I took the backseat in decorating. Caleb ran the show and it came out beautiful! He had a blast and was smiling the entire time, as we blasted some Christmas tunes in the background. Only thing we didn't have was holiday weather.... It was close to 82 degrees today while he decorated the tree!

This weekend Caleb was also able to attend a few holiday parties for the kids from the hospital.  It was so great seeing him smile and have fun with his friends, KK & Trevor. Kids Beating Cancer held the party. The women that runs the organization lost her son 21 years ago to cancer. At the end of the party, they had a tree lighting ceremony where each kid lit a candle to represent their fight. The big candle at the top was to represent all the children that lost their battle. It was a very touching ceremony. It puts everything back in perspective.



I still get that "is this a dream" feeling. I had that at the tree lighting ceremony. I felt like yelling, "someone please just wake me up!" But, I reflected on this past year, as they played a song and everyone was silent lighting their candles. Caleb lit his candle with the women that runs the program. I had tears in my eyes. I wondered how we ended up here (not there literally, but in this "new world" of cancer).  I still question Why? Why Caleb? Why us? Why does HE have to go through this, endure all this pain, effects from the drugs, deal with pokes every week or spinals, lose time in school, miss out on normal kid things? I can only think that it is for a reason.. though I hate that saying. He has a plan for him and for us. The people we have met were meant to of crossed our paths. The people going through this with us were meant to become like family. I have learned more life lessons these past 9 months than I have learned in my 33 years. Cancer is a real eye opener about life and you learn..... real quick. 

Your continued love, prayer and support have all been amazing! Can't thank you all enough!
Love,
"Caleb's Mama"


Caleb & Trevor at the Holiday Party
 The 3 Amigos!
Caleb hopped on Trevors pegs!
Mama & her fighter!
He gives me all my strength.
 Caleb wasn't a fan of the clowns when we first got there... Def got that from Mama -
They've terrified me since I was little and my Aunt was one for Halloween! BUT
they were best buds by the end!
 AND he got to keep a clown nose!
 Yes, his Mama is crazy! He flipped though when I tried to use it
in the drive thru today! Guess that would've been too embarrassing!
 Caleb loved his gifts from Kids Beating Cancer
 Trimming the tree - he loved it!
 He had to thank Santa for the early gifts so we had another photo op!



Heard this song this week during the WSIX special on the radio raising $ for St. Jude. 
It put everything into perspective for me that day.

Bleed Red - Ronnie Dunn








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The day our lives changed....

It was my 33 birthday... My plan was to get Caleb's cast on his leg, get some R&R, play Wii & have birthday cake. That isn't exactly how it worked out. It all started days prior when Caleb began complaining of a pain in his right wrist. Since he is a very active boy at home, in school and on the soccer field I figured it was a sprain. Plus, the way he continued to be so active and the pain was sporatic, I would give him Tylenol and tell him to rest. Finally on Saturday before his soccer game I was dressing him and he yelled as I put his shirt on. He still insisted it was ok, but to ease my mind I said we'd go to an urgent care later. He played a great game. Running around like crazy and being my little soccer star that he is. We later went to urgent care to check out his arm. After XRays they said the bone was bent and put it in a sling and to follow up with an ortho at some point this week. That didn't sit well with me.. Next stop was the Arnold Palmer ER for h

Tough Guys Don't Do Hair

Another week of treatment behind us. This week has been a rough one mentally, emotionally and physically for Caleb and I. Clinic days drain us both. They completely drain me, Lord only knows what they do to him, really. Caleb and I went into clinic at 930 yesterday and he wasn't taken for his LP until 12:10 pm. By noon, he was cranky and starving. And I didn't blame him since  he hadn't eaten or drank since 7pm the night prior. That was the longest he had to go without eating for sedation. He's been having pains in his legs and the doctor feels again it's from one of the chemos that has that effect. So I'm just treating him as needed with pain medication or morphine at home. Hoping it doesn't get as bad as it was two weeks prior. He's getting as used to it as he can not having hair. At times I think he forgets. He still has strand on top of his head, but mostly gone. It's still falling out. I remind him everyday how handsome he is and how amazing h

HAPPY 5th BIRTHDAY CALEB BLAISE!

I can specifically remember a conversation I had with my sister back in February. My sister and I have birthdays in March that fall in the same week. Each year we complain about being  another year older or closer to some milestone year. I always make fun of her because she is older and will hit those first. Anyways, I can remember a conversation this year we had about our birthdays and a comment a patient of hers said to her. My sister is an oncology nurse and works with adult cancer patients. They said that they don't dread their birthdays at all - that is yet another milestone, yet another year they are beating their disease. I agreed with her, but never did I think I'd be thinking about that in regards to my son. Caleb Blaise turns 5 years old today. My brave little boy has been through so much since his last birthday. I am thankful we found what we did, when we did. He is proving just how strong he is and how many more milestones he will accomplish. On that day he was gi