Skip to main content

September is GOLDEN. Are you AWARE?

Are you aware that September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month? Neither was I two years ago. I had no clue, until I was blindly thrown into this Cancer World with my son. And since that day that I heard the words no parent should ever hear, "Your child has cancer," I vowed to be a voice that is much needed for my son and all the other children fighting this disease. 

Once you understand this world, you are saddened and very upset with the fact that childhood cancer gets not as much attention as other cancers and is vastly UNDERFUNDED. I don't know if it's the fact that people don't want to hear about kids getting cancer or the "it won't happen me to my family"..... but sadly it does. There was a day that I felt like that too and I will admit it. On March 12, 2012, my son didn't have cancer either. Still with each day since his diagnosis, I am more and more aware how UNRARE Childhood Cancer is. Each day I hear of new diagnosis', new facebook pages for kids fighting this disease, families asking for a miracle because their child isn't doing well.... and hearing of those that gain their wings far, far too soon. 

Each school day 46 children are diagnosed with Cancer. On March 13, 2012, my son was one of the 46 diagnosed. And each day 7 lose their battle. Imagine reading a headline on the news, 230 children wounded and in critical condition and 35 children killed this week?  Could you even imagine??? Well that is what is happening each week. 230 are newly diagnosed and 35 earn their wings. When you put it that way.... it definatly puts a lump in your throat.  

This year I am highlighting a child each day on my personal and on Caleb's Facebook page. So over the 30 days in the month of September -- 30 children will be introduced to my family, friends and Caleb's followers.  30 kids that have been thrown into this world, blindly. 30 families whose lives have been turned upside down. Some of which still fight everyday, are almost off treatment, are survivors and counting their years of remission and sadly some that are angels. Each of these kids hold a special place in my heart..... and all the kids that fight everyday do - even the ones that aren't on my page. These kids go through so much. Miss out on so much growing up. Grow up way too fast. 

As I've said before, Caleb's diagnosis defiantly changed my outlook on life and things in general. I don't sweat the small stuff anymore. That extra inch on my waist, that extra piece of chocolate cake I ate, that bill I've been looking at for months, that bill collector calling, that gray hair on my head, that playroom with toys on the floor, the mail pile in the kitchen, I've gone how many weeks without a pedicure, that old purse I'm still toting around, that old t shirt and no name brand jeans I have on.... That crap doesn't matter anymore. I've learned to enjoy each day. Take each day in and find something to remember from that day. Enjoy the day with the ones I love. Tell them how much they mean to you. You never know when things will be taken from you, so take nothing for granted. Hold no grudges. Move on. Live with no regrets. Set out to do and accomplish everything you want to in life, before it passes you by so quickly.... and it will. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for Caleb, he's been doing great. He started Kindergarten and I feel like he's grown up so much in the two weeks since he started. He seems like such a big boy to me now, but he will always be my little boy. He is doing great in his class and does his homework every night. Each day he can't wait to get into my car to tell me what number he got on his behavior chart!

Caleb will be starting T Ball  for the Fall this week and classes at church. He will definately be a busy boy now! He is super excited about both. He also just got his first pair of glasses! He was so excited to go to school and show them off to his class and one of his classmates his is buds with that also wears them! :) I'm so happy he is getting some normalcy back in his life.

Last week I also thought Caleb may be losing his hair again. Some kids do lose it again during Long Term Maintenance. Just that one day I noticed a significant amount on his shirt and he saw it on his desk at school.... but since then it's been ok. He was upset when I told him, it is possible to still lose it again... But since that day, its been ok - so maybe it was a fluke thing or just thinning a bit - we will see as the days go.

Caleb is excited to pick out his Halloween Costume already. He already knows what he wants to be. We are going to be taking him soon to pick it out.... Should be fun!

Caleb goes in for his quarterly spinal this week and will miss a day of school. He will get his monthly IV Chemo, Spinal Chemo, Breathing Treatment to prevent pneumonia, and labs. Please continue to keep him in your prayers that all goes well and another month is behind us. He still has 1 year and 9 months left of active treatment to go. 

That's 1,163 more chemotheraphy pills, 21 IV chemos, 8 more spinal chemos and taps, 21 more breathing treatments and at least 21 more scheduled pokes for labs in his port. 

Gosh, he's such a brave, brave boy!

Thank You all for your continued love, support and prayers for us and we go through this journey. It is so appreciated by both of us! 
Love, Caleb's Mama

Caleb taking pics with Jersey on my phone :)


Caleb with his new glasses

First Day of Kindergarten

Caleb and his buddy, Trevor

Be Brave
By: Sara Bareilles

This song makes me think of all the Fighters out there :) 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The day our lives changed....

It was my 33 birthday... My plan was to get Caleb's cast on his leg, get some R&R, play Wii & have birthday cake. That isn't exactly how it worked out. It all started days prior when Caleb began complaining of a pain in his right wrist. Since he is a very active boy at home, in school and on the soccer field I figured it was a sprain. Plus, the way he continued to be so active and the pain was sporatic, I would give him Tylenol and tell him to rest. Finally on Saturday before his soccer game I was dressing him and he yelled as I put his shirt on. He still insisted it was ok, but to ease my mind I said we'd go to an urgent care later. He played a great game. Running around like crazy and being my little soccer star that he is. We later went to urgent care to check out his arm. After XRays they said the bone was bent and put it in a sling and to follow up with an ortho at some point this week. That didn't sit well with me.. Next stop was the Arnold Palmer ER for h

Tough Guys Don't Do Hair

Another week of treatment behind us. This week has been a rough one mentally, emotionally and physically for Caleb and I. Clinic days drain us both. They completely drain me, Lord only knows what they do to him, really. Caleb and I went into clinic at 930 yesterday and he wasn't taken for his LP until 12:10 pm. By noon, he was cranky and starving. And I didn't blame him since  he hadn't eaten or drank since 7pm the night prior. That was the longest he had to go without eating for sedation. He's been having pains in his legs and the doctor feels again it's from one of the chemos that has that effect. So I'm just treating him as needed with pain medication or morphine at home. Hoping it doesn't get as bad as it was two weeks prior. He's getting as used to it as he can not having hair. At times I think he forgets. He still has strand on top of his head, but mostly gone. It's still falling out. I remind him everyday how handsome he is and how amazing h

HAPPY 5th BIRTHDAY CALEB BLAISE!

I can specifically remember a conversation I had with my sister back in February. My sister and I have birthdays in March that fall in the same week. Each year we complain about being  another year older or closer to some milestone year. I always make fun of her because she is older and will hit those first. Anyways, I can remember a conversation this year we had about our birthdays and a comment a patient of hers said to her. My sister is an oncology nurse and works with adult cancer patients. They said that they don't dread their birthdays at all - that is yet another milestone, yet another year they are beating their disease. I agreed with her, but never did I think I'd be thinking about that in regards to my son. Caleb Blaise turns 5 years old today. My brave little boy has been through so much since his last birthday. I am thankful we found what we did, when we did. He is proving just how strong he is and how many more milestones he will accomplish. On that day he was gi